Knee Bracing Specialists Of Long Island
Providing Knee Braces In Nassau and Suffolk Counties
When it comes to knee braces on Long Island, All American Medical Supply provides the best knee brace equipment around. Our expert staff can help fit your leg for any size and style knee bracing you may need. It is important to know what types of Orthopedic knee braces there are on the market. At All American Medical Supply we carry a variety of brand name orthopedic braces to suit your needs and budget.
Finding out what type of knee brace you may need can be a hassle. Our knee brace specialists are trained to help determine what type of knee brace you need. There is a number of questions we will first ask you to better understand your condition.
Some knee brace questions include:
- Why are you in need of a knee brace?
- Is your Knee pain from a sports related injury?
- Age, Gender, Health Conditions, Previous Surgeries
Below is a list of frequently asked questions about Knee Braces. For more information about braces and supports visit our Massapequa location today!
Types of Knee Braces
Osteoarthiritis or Unloader Knee Braces
WHAT IS KNEE OA?
The common cause for knee pain is a condition called osteoarthritis (OA), a chronic degenerative condition that affects the knee joint. As knee OA gets worse, the natural cushioning between your joints and cartilage gets worn away. Bones start to rub and grind against each other, causing significant pain and discomfort.
WHAT CAUSES KNEE OA?
There are a number of factors that can increase the risk of developing osteoarthritis of the knee, and also impact the rate at which knee OA progresses over time.
- Age - Age is a contributing factor in the development of osteoarthritis because the natural ability of cartilage to heal decreases as you get older.
- Body weight - Extra weight can add increased pressure on knee joints and often accelerates the degenerative process of cartilage breakdown, causing osteoarthritis. Maintaining a healthy body weight is the primary way to reduce your risk of developing knee OA.
- Family history - Having a family history of arthritis may increase your likelihood of developing knee OA.
- Past knee injury - Injuring your knee, and specifically damaging knee ligaments, can cause cartilage degeneration to start much earlier or progress more rapidly. Those who have torn their anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), or sustained other ligament injuries, are at an increased risk of developing knee OA within the next ten years.
WHAT SYMPTOMS ARE ASSOCIATED WITH KNEE OSTEOARTHRITIS?
Listed below are the symptoms commonly reported by people who have been diagnosed with knee osteoarthritis (OA). If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, especially if you have previously injured your knee, it is important that you talk to your doctor about knee OA.
Pain or discomfort in knee joints may reduce mobility, making it difficult to get up, use the stairs and walk long distances. When this happens many patients have to resort to using lift chairs and power mobility equipment to get around.
Stiffness due to inflammation, especially in the morning or after sitting for a long period of time. Creaking, crackly and popping sounds when the knee moves have also been reported by people suffering from knee OA.
HOW IS KNEE OA DIAGNOSED?
Knee OA is diagnosed only by a trained medical professional. They can accurately and effectively diagnose osteoarthritis by using an x-ray or MRI. If you are experiencing chronic knee pain and think it may be due to knee OA, then we recommend you to speak with your doctor as soon as possible.
If you do receive a diagnosis of knee OA, do not lose hope! There are a number of options available to treat your condition, including the Ossur Unloader One Knee Brace, clinically proven to relieve OA knee pain.
Watch the videos
HOW DO UNLOADER BRACES WORK?
If you have been diagnosed with knee OA, you may want to consider wearing an Unloader knee brace, which is clinically proven to relieve OA knee pain by unloading the affected side of the knee joint. Unloader knee braces apply a pressure on the opposite side of the knee joint to relieve pain and "bone on bone" rubbing of the joint. If a person has OA on the medial side of the knee, the brace would apply pressure from the lateral side to open up the spacing on the affected side, and vice-versa. Bracing can also be used in conjunction with other forms of treatment, such as exercise and weight loss programs, injections and physical therapy.
WHICH BRACE IS RIGHT FOR ME?
There are certain braces that take pressure off areas where the arthritis is at its worst. In the past, knee braces tended to be fairly bulky devices, but now are made of lightweight material. Easy-to-use braces such as the Unloader One and Unloader One Lite are specifically designed for knee OA and are clinically proven to help with knee pain. There are a variety of different Unloader knee braces available. We carry and dispense from a few different companies, because everyone is different and didn't braces may fit them better than another.
Standard Hinged Knee Braces
A Hinged Knee Brace is primarily used by patients with mild sprain/strains of the MCL and LCL ligaments of the knee.
They have hinges on both sides of the knee to offer stability, support and compression on a knee joint to keep t from injuring further and allowing it to heal faster.
Most people needing a knee brace will typically use it for a period of time during a healing process or post surgically and then can eventually discontinue use if they and their doctor feel that the problem is resolved.
We carry a variety of hinged knee braces in our Massapequa location.
Rebound® Knee Brace
With six options to choose from, Össur's Rebound hinged knee brace is a high-quality knee brace designed to serve the needs of a broad range of patients.
- Breathe freely: Featuring our unique, 3-layer Cooltech(tm) fabric, the Rebound Knee Brace is highly breathable, reduces heat retention and dries ultrafast.
- Popliteal comfort: The Rebound Knee Brace stretches in extension and relaxes back to its natural shape in flexion, minimizing the popliteal bunching that causes skin irritation in other products.
- Patella support included: A removable, universal patella buttress is included with every sleeve version of the Rebound Knee Brace for easy, customizable patellar support, whenever necessary.
- Control where it counts: Dual lower cruciate straps enable fine-tuned control of the anterior-posterior hinge placement and cinch the Rebound Knee Brace above the gastroc to reduce migration.Strap it your way. The reversible strapping of the Rebound Knee Brace can be set up to pull laterally-to-medially, medially-to-laterally, or a combination of both, depending on your specific objectives.
Indications for Use
- ROM Hinge Models: Mild to moderate ACL and/or PCL, MCL and LCL instabilities, sprains and strains.
- Non-ROM Hinge Models: Mild medial/lateral knee instabilities
If you’re in need of a fitting for a knee brace call our Massapequa location today at (516) 216-1707.